Establish a conceptual foundation for spatial development and master planning
Augmented Visitor Experience at Sebezhsky National Park
Location: Sebezhsky National Park, Pskov Oblast, Russian Federation
– Cultural heritage research;
– Spatial analysis and modelling;
– Conservation planning;
– Tourism and visitor experience planning;
– Development of a design brief and guidelines
Clients: Nature Reserves Environmental Education Centre and Sebezhsky National Park, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Russian Federation
Objective: Produce a design brief and guidelines for an ecological trail based on research, analysis, and modelling, with emphasis on visitor experience
Partnership: SNOU project
The visitor experience project for Sebezhsky National Park came about through the European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument’s Estonia-Latvia-Russia Cross-Border Cooperation Programme. It called for developing a system of excursion routes throughout the park with a strategy for presenting information in a flexible and interactive way.
Novaya developed a strategy for preserving the natural landscape and creating a unique adaptive programme for visitors. The programme is based on an innovative approach to presenting information through interconnected layers:
- Natural-ecological: The diverse landscapes of Sebezhsky National Park include woodlands and freshwater lakes. The project carefully maintains these ecosystems, making them the trails’ main focus.
- Architectural: A system of bridges and pavilions follow the excursion routes and serve as viewing platforms. These allow visitors to experience the surrounding landscape from a new perspective while activating an interplay with augmented reality.
- Technological: For display on tablets and smartphones, animated 3D models representing different historical periods are superimposed on actual sites along the trails.